Review for Needful Things
|Author: Stephen King|
In einer kleinen Stadt
Leland Gaunt opens a new shop in Castle Rock called Needful Things. Anyone who enters his store finds the object of his or her lifelong dreams and desires: a prized baseball card, a healing amulet. In addition to a token payment, Gaunt requests that each person perform a little "deed," usually a seemingly innocent prank played on someone else from town. These practical jokes cascade out of control and soon the entire town is doing battle with itself.
"Needful Things" is the first novel from Stephen I read only in English. I never read it in German. I tried, but the translation was so bad, I couldn´t go on. These are the reasons, why I love this book:
1. The return of Sheriff Alan Pangborn, who is one of my favorite King characters. I´m glad, he´s still alive. In Stephen´s world, you never know. Every novel could be Alan´s last one.
2. The powerful, dramatic storyline. Yeah, humans are greedy and desperate and manipulative. But, they are also brave and loving.
3. Leland Gaunt, the pure seducing devil.
4. Brian Rusk´s suicide, in front of his brother. One of the cruelest and saddest things, I ever read. They changed it in the movie, and it sucks.
5. The beginning: "You´ve been here before."
6. The end: "You´ve been here before."
7. The tender, strong love between Alan and Polly.
8. Meeting old acquaintances.